The Halcyon Arts Lab Fellowship is a nine-month program established to provide emerging artists with time and space to explore new ideas and ambitious projects in an environment of independent learning, study, and collaboration. The fellowship is designed to provide support and resources to emerging artists who desire to develop projects that promote social impact, and for those who want to grow as leaders in the field of socially-engaged art.
Halcyon Arts Lab accepts six national or international fellows and two DC-resident fellows in each year of the program.
Our application for the 2017/2018 Halcyon Arts Lab Fellowship is now closed. Please check back for more information on future programs.
Application deadline: May 4, 2017
Fellowship dates: October 1, 2017 – June 30, 2018
Fellows accepted into the program will have access to the following:
- A dedicated studio to concentrate on independent learning and creative practice
- $18k financial scholarship to support project expenses and living costs
- Nine months of free offsite residential accommodation (eligible for non-DC residents only)
- A curriculum of classes that provides skills training in negotiating, marketing, and fundraising
- Mentorship and critique from experienced arts professionals
- Workshops and lectures with a broad content of art topics in the public realm, from urban planning and policy, to design thinking and social justice
- The chance to mentor DC high school students, providing guidance, instruction and inspiration to the next generation
- Opportunities to collaborate with fellow artists, social entrepreneurs and our program partner organizations in Washington, DC
Commitment to Local Artists
Halcyon is committed to the vibrant community of artists living in Washington, DC. We see tangible value in supporting artists whose projects may require ongoing community relationships that last beyond the nine-month residency. For that reason, Halcyon has chosen to allocate two of the eight fellowships to DC-resident artists.
Applying to the Halcyon Arts Lab
Applications to the Halcyon Arts Lab Fellowship are equally weighted between an artist’s statement and submissions of previous work (50%) and a project statement (50%). Halcyon accepts artists with ambitious projects at early stages of their development, where time, space, and resources can be most beneficial to create impactful work. The fellowship program is based in Washington, DC at the Halcyon Arts Lab campus, but a fellow’s project work can focus regionally, nationally, or internationally.
For questions about the application process, please contact the Halcyon Arts Lab team at firstname.lastname@example.org.