What is the Halcyon Arts Lab Fellowship?
At the intersection of art and social change, this nine-month residential fellowship is designed to provide support and resources to emerging artists working on projects which address issues of social justice, civic engagement, and community building. Arts Lab fellows strive to hone their practices and grow as leaders in their respective fields.
Adapting the well-honed methodology of the Halcyon model, Halcyon Arts Lab fosters creativity through a supportive environment of space, access, and community. The program accepts six national and international fellows as well as two Washington, DC-based artists in each cohort.
2018/2019 fellowship dates: September 10, 2018 - June 28, 2019
(Mandatory Orientation: September 11-12, 2018)
Location: Halcyon Arts Lab, 1801 35th Street NW, Washington DC 20007
Who should apply?
Emerging artists who are interested in further developing a socially-engaged practice and creating lasting connections and partnerships in Washington, DC.
When is the deadline?
Applications are due by 5PM EST on April 4, 2018
What is included?
Halcyon Arts Lab Fellows have access to the following:
• Dedicated studio space to focus on research, learning, and creative practice
• A competitive financial scholarship to support living and material costs
• Nine months of off-site residential accommodation (eligible for non-D.C. residents only)
• A program of classes, artist talks, studio visits, civic engagement opportunities, and critiques
• Mentorship and critique from an experienced arts professional in the fellow’s field
• Opportunity to mentor DC high school students to provide guidance and inspiration in developing the next generation of socially-engaged artists
• Collboration and networking with fellow artists, social entrepreneurs and our program partner organizations in Washington, D.C.
Commitment to Local Artists
Halcyon is committed to the vibrant community of artists living in Washington, DC. We see tangible value in supporting artists whose projects may require ongoing community relationships that last beyond the nine-month residency. For that reason, Halcyon has chosen to allocate two of the eight fellowships to DC-resident artists.
Applying to the Halcyon Arts Lab
Applications to the Halcyon Arts Lab Fellowship are evaluated on areas of artistic excellence, impact, and future potential. Halcyon accepts artists with ambitious projects at early stages of their development, where time, space, and resources can be most beneficial to create impactful work. The fellowship program is based in Washington, DC at Halcyon Arts Lab, but a fellow’s work can focus regionally, nationally, or internationally.
For questions about the application process, please contact the Halcyon Arts Lab team at email@example.com.