Halcyon recognizes the importance of the arts in our society, and we advocate emerging artists on their quest to change the world for the better. Halcyon Stage embodies that commitment by creating new avenues for them to share their talents and ideas with all members of our community.
Programs under the Halcyon Stage umbrella include:
- New Creatives Conversations is an interactive series of dialogues with some of the most intriguing influencers of our time.
- Halcyon Stage Book Party with Politics & Prose series invites celebrated authors to discuss their work in an intimate social setting.
- Halcyon Stage @ Dock 5 is a partnership with EDENS and Union Market dedicated to spreading creativity across Washington, DC—offering immersive experiences and performances in unorthodox settings through our city.
- Halcyon Stage Cabaret is sometimes bawdy, sometimes naughty and always thoughtful, intimate and intriguing.
- Halcyon Stage Pop-Up @ Union Market is a series of free pop-up concerts and events that allow audiences to find beauty in unexpected places, activating the Union Market and its surroundings with an artistic spirit and filling it with a sense of community.
- Halcyon Stage House Party is a part of Halcyon Stage’s Hip-Hop initiative, which includes the commissioning and presentation of internationally recognized artists performing around a curated theme.
A note from the artistic director
It’s thrilling to share the inaugural season of Halcyon Stage, a new suite of adventuresome programs and immersive experiences that celebrate creativity in the world around us. Here at Halcyon Stage we define creativity broadly, and as such the program is as diverse as the way we live. So what does this season look like? This spring, in collaboration with EDENS and Union Market we launch Halcyon Stage @ Dock 5, a unique warehouse performance series in one of DC’s hippest neighborhoods, featuring a Stravinsky Rave: The Rite of Spring Dance Party in collaboration with The Experiential Orchestra; the DC premiere of BalletX in works by choreographers Trey McIntyre and Matthew Neenan set to the music of Amy Winehouse and the indie-rock band Beirut; and the Wolf Trap Opera in a fascinating production of Philip Glass’s chilling, The Fall of the House of Usher, based on Edgar Allan Poe’s spine-tingling tale, which I will direct. Our new, sometimes bawdy, sometimes naughty and always thoughtful cabaret series features two-time Helen Hayes winner E. Faye Butler, NPR’s All Things Considered anchor and Pink Martini vocalist Ari Shapiro, and celebrated NYC performance artist Joey Arias channeling Billie Holiday.
We’ll bop and weave to musical experiences of all sorts, from sublime chamber music and new opera to a hip-hop festival and more.
We team up with Politics & Prose to present our Halcyon Stage Book Party series, featuring some personal favorites who have new tomes out, like the film-world icon, John Waters and cultural critic and general bad-ass Camille Paglia. We’ll engage in intriguing conversations with ballet superstar Misty Copeland, renowned chef Claus Meyer (Copenhagen’s NOMA), and share a beer with the next generation of social entrepreneurs who are some doing cool new things to change the world.
We are committed to celebrating creativity with all members of our community, and most every artist/author/chef will engage in community programming for DC youth in tandem with their public programs, with a special emphasis on students in DC’s Wards 7 & 8.
We invite you to join us all season long for a marvelous adventure filled with inspiring encounters and awesome surprises.