Halcyon seeks emerging artists of any discipline who are inspired to create social change through art. Halcyon defines “socially-engaged” practice as work that that demonstrates critical inquiry into social issues, and work that actively engages groups and communities, placing collaborative project outcomes at the heart of the creative process.
Halcyon recognizes that there are many different definitions of an “emerging artist.” We define this as those individuals who have:
- Demonstrated promising artistic development. They may have received some critical recognition but have not yet earned an extensive record of professional achievement.
- Have transitioned from academia and have entered their professional careers as an artist, and would benefit from a collaborative fellowship environment.
In addition to meeting Halcyon’s definitions of socially-engaged practice and emerging artist described above, all applicants must:
- Be a US citizen, resident, or student with the legal status to study or work in the US
- Must be 21 years of age or over and not enrolled in alternate full-time education at the start of the fellowship.
- Commit to using on-site campus facilities and studios for a minimum of between 25-30 hours a week
- Must engage in the high school mentorship program no less than 1 hour a week
- Have a collaborative nature, sense of humor and a willingness to work and learn in a condensed creative environment.
- Must complete the following application form online by 5pm EST, April 4, 2018
- Must be an individual applicant.
- Attend mandatory Halcyon Orienation on September 11-12, 2018.
- Must not engage in commercial activity of any kind on the Fillmore school site*
* This does not include any commercial sales via online platforms or any sales that occur offsite during the fellowship.
Halcyon will accept six individual international or national applicants and two DC-based artists from the categories listed above.