What is the Halcyon Arts Lab Fellowship?
At the intersection of art and social change, this nine-month residential fellowship is designed to provide support and resources to emerging artists working on projects which address issues of social justice, civic engagement, and community building. Arts Lab fellows strive to expand their practices and grow as leaders in their respective fields.
Adapting the well-honed methodology of the Halcyon model, Halcyon Arts Lab fosters creativity through a supportive environment of space, access, and community. The program accepts six national and international fellows as well as two Washington, DC-based artists in each cohort.
2018/2019 fellowship dates: September 9, 2019 - June 26, 2020
Mandatory Orientation: September 10th - September 11th, 2019
Mandatory Kickoff: October 7th- 12th, 2019
Location: Halcyon Arts Lab, 1801 35th Street NW, Washington DC 20007
Who should apply?
Emerging artists who are interested in further developing a socially-engaged practice and creating lasting connections and partnerships in Washington, DC.
Halcyon defines emerging artist as early career artist who demonstrate promising artistic development and demonstrates dedication to their practices but is at a pivotal point in their career where they could benefit from further training and mentorship.
Halcyon Arts Lab Fellows should be:
- Self-directed and able to work independently but will benefit from the program elements including, workshops, mentorship and training to further develop their careers.
- Hold a desire to create, grow as leaders and expand their practices.
- Interest in group collaboration including critiques and developing programming with their fellow artist in residence and community members.
- Interested in being a part of and contributing to the wider Halcyon community to including fostering relationships with fellow entrepreneurs in residence in our sister program, Halcyon incubator.
- Interested in expanding the social impact of their projects and creating work that demonstrates critical inquiry into social issues, and actively engages groups and communities, placing collaborative project outcomes at the heart of the creative process.
Halcyon is looking for artist that abide by our core values. This means we seek fellows who are:
- Risk tolerant
Eligibility & Program Recruitments
In addition to meeting Halcyon’s definition of socially engaged and emerging artist, all applicants must:
- Be a fulltime artist
- Be a US citizen, resident, or student with the legal status to study or work in the US
- Must be 21 years of age or over and not enrolled in alternate full-time education at the start of the fellowship.
- Must complete the following application form online by 5pm EST, April 4, 2019
- Must be an individual applicant.
Program requirements are detailed below. Fellows must:
- Attend mandatory Orientation and Kick-off event
- Participate in By the People Festival
- Participate in civic engagement and volunteer events set up by the Halcyon.
- Commit to using on-site campus facilities and studios for a minimum of between 25-30 hours a week
- Commit to 5 hours of weekly programing, skill series and events.
- Must engage in the youth mentorship program no less than 1 hour a week
- Have a collaborative nature, sense of humor and a willingness to work and learn in a condensed creative environment.
In addition fellows must not engage in commercial activity of any kind on the Halcyon Arts Lab site. This does not include any commercial sales via online platforms or any sales that occur offsite during the fellowship.
Travel & Restrictions
Artist must commit to the full length of the residency with no more the 4 weeks of nonconsecutive travel. Not including holidays and emergencies. Artist must not participate in simultaneous residencies during the Halcyon Fellowship or have full time employment.