Selection Criteria & Process
- Applications will be vetted internally by Halcyon Staff & Alumni to ensure eligibility and application completeness.
- The Selection Committee will review applications and shortlist candidates for the interview stage.
- Short-listed candidates will be called for virtual interviews during which committee members can ask questions and learn more about the candidate's practice and proposed project.
- Final selection: Following the application and interview phase, the selections committee will select the six national/international and two DC-based fellows. Accepted fellows will be notified of their selection by early-May.
Halcyon uses three criteria to assess applications to the Halcyon Arts Lab.
- Artistic Excellence & Future Potential –
Do the work samples exemplify strong technical ability and understanding of medium?
Do its artistic qualities help to achieve its intended goal?
Does the work demonstrate resourceful and sustainable processes?
- Innovation & Stickiness
Does the artist challenge the status quo by breaking away from established practices?
Is it unique/disruptive?
Is it memorable?
- Impact & Integrity
Does the artist articulate a clear process for measuring impact of the work?
How does the work demonstrate a meaningful relationship with community?
Is the commitment to civic engagement, social justice, and/or community clear and compelling?