"Becoming Free" Documentary Film Premiere
Thursday's screening is SOLD OUT. But visit Kristin's installation Cell 17 at Union Market from June 21-24!
Join us for the very special Washington, DC, premiere of the new documentary film Becoming Free.
Becoming Free is a short documentary that follows three young people who have served years or decades behind bars during the cricial transition from youth to adulthood. In Washington, DC, these young aspiring small business owners are seeking to break the cycle of poverty, violence and incarceration throguh community and entrepreneurship. But they are always walking the "thin line" that can lead back to prison with the smallest misstep or along a new path to the future. (Runtime: 40 minutes)
Watch the trailer: www.becomingfreefilm.com/trailer.
Following the film, there will be a panel discussion about creating sustainable opportunities for community members returning from incarceration. The panel will include:
- Deputy Mayor for Greater Economic Opportunity Courtney Snowden
- Brian Ferguson, Executive Director, DC Mayor’s Office on Returning Citizen Affairs (MORCA)
- A senior staff attorney from the DC Public Defender Service
- Kristin Adair, filmmaker and Halcyon Arts Lab Fellow
- Will Avila, founder and CEO of Clean Decisions and co-founder of Changing Perceptions
- Other returning citizen entrepreneurs and reentry advocates.