Title: Communications Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Communications
Date: December 5, 2019
Halcyon is a new kind of nonprofit organization. We lift up innovators and creators, giving them the tools and opportunities they need to bring their ideas to life. Some of Halcyon’s signature programs are residential fellowships, including the Halcyon Incubator, Incubator Intensives, and Halcyon Arts Lab. Other Halcyon programs, like By The People, elevate creativity in the broader community and beyond. The Halcyon Awards take the principles at the heart of Halcyon’s mission and recognize leaders in art, social enterprise, and public policy.
Since its founding, Halcyon has built programming around the core tenets of space, community, and access, continuously evolving to identify and provide a haven for big dreamers and risk-takers the world over.
Support Halcyon’s communications department, with a focus on writing, media outreach, and email communications. Coordinate with all programs and departments, helping to refine key messages and tell the story of Halcyon and its fellows to key audiences including media, stakeholders, and supporters. Promote Halcyon’s brand and messages with both internal and external audiences. Build a supportive, enthusiastic community around Halcyon’s mission and the broader areas of social enterprise, art, and ideas that move the world forward.
- Coordinate Halcyon's media relations activities, including curating media lists, identifying media opportunities, crafting pitches to media, and following up to secure coverage.
- Support major writing projects including Halcyon’s annual report, print marketing materials, one-pagers, and website language.
- Manage Halcyon’s email communications program, managing the email calendar, working with program leads to draft and build emails, editing email content, and monitoring email performance analytics.
- Build a targeted email program to share key Halcyon moments, fellows’ stories, and more with leaders in the government, industry, and nonprofit sectors.
- Craft messaging in support of Halcyon’s brand, especially messaging tied to new initiatives and storytelling on behalf of Halcyon fellows.
- Support social media content creation and posting.
- Support website maintenance and upkeep as needed.
- Provide timely and full follow-up on communications projects.
- Assist in diverse Halcyon activities, including staffing program events.
Minimum Education/Experience Required
BA or BS degree; Minimum one year of communications experience, nonprofit experience preferred
Skills and Abilities
- Passion for the idea of creative solutions to 21st century problems – enthusiasm around art and social enterprise as avenues for changing the world
- Proven ability to communicate articulately and creatively
- High computer competency, including knowledge of Microsoft Office, Dropbox, and Google apps
- Excellent written skills including grammar and punctuation
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment and independently to achieve common objectives
- Comfortable interacting with a variety of stakeholders
- Solid problem-solving skills including identifying and recommending solutions
- Ability to work with multiple priorities and deadlines and to pitch in where needed
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with others, good sense of humor
- Thrive on working in a fast-paced, dynamic, start-up environment
- Experience with photography or graphic design preferred but not required
Willingness and ability to work evenings and weekends to meet program requirements.
Some travel may be required.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com with the subject line “Communications Coordinator.”